Posts Tagged ‘Martin Hawtree’

Pine Cliffs, Portugal

Aug 6th
2017

Source: blogjustteetimes.com

Real Golf Bendinat | Blog Justteetimes

Oct 11th
2015

Real Golf Bendinat | Blog Justteetimes.

Lahinch Golf Club, Ireland

Oct 13th
2014

A links of unparalleled originality, the Lahinch Golf Club was born in 1892 when Scottish officers of the Black Watch Regiment stationed in Limerick, came upon a vast expanse of duneland on the edge of the small seaside resort town of Lahinch and decided to build a golf course. Their original layout only skirted the site’s heavy sandhills but in 1894 it was re-designed by Old Tom Morris.

“Lahinch will make the finest and most popular course that I, or I believe anyone else, ever constructed” Dr Alister MacKenzie

Morris regarded the links as one of the finest natural courses he had seen and pushed more of it into the dunes. Westward Ho! professional George Gibson later added a few more beachside holes but the most significant phase in the development of the course came in 1927 when Dr Alister MacKenzie moved all eighteen into the heavier coastal dunes, added a number of new green sites and stretched and modernized the layout.

The Lahinch that gradually rose to international prominence was a combination of the work of all these designers. Her most famous holes, the Dell and Klondyke, were both by Morris while the flowing routing, strategic driving lines and wonderfully intricate, and unconventional, green complexes were a result of MacKenzie’s ability to successfully tie together his own ideas with Gibson and Morris’ best moments.  But wait, there´s more…

Oceanico Millennium « Blog Justteetimes

Jan 12th
2014

Oceanico Millennium « Blog Justteetimes.

Real Golf Bendinat « Blog Justteetimes

Mar 10th
2013

Blog Justteetimes.

Golf Architects/Designers: Martin Hawtree

Feb 14th
2011

Martin Grant Hawtree represents the third generation of Hawtrees to practice golf course architecture. The Hawtree Limited, dates from 1912, and has been associated with the building or remodelling of more than 800 golf courses. Martin is the director and chief architect at Hawtree Limited which is a family owned known golf course Architecture Company.

The Hawtree dynasty, F.G., F.W. and M.G. is probably the longest continuous practice in golf course architecture. The experience and knowledge which derive from two father-son exchanges are now at the centre of a multi-disciplinary practice known throughout the world.

The founder of the company Frederick George Hawtree became interested in the new science of greenkeeping during the early years of the last century and gradually broadened his interests to include golf course construction. His first golf course was built at Croham Hurst, in Surrey and is still there unchanged. He had worked here with James Braid and went on to work with him building courses at Ipswich and Musselbrugh.

After the First World War he set up a company with another member of the ‘great triumvirate’ J.H.Taylor to design and build golf courses. Over 50 new courses were to be built over the next couple of decades and many more remodelled including the total reconstruction of Birkdale in the 1930’s. In 1932 Fred built and set up Addington Court, the first privately run golf course to be opened to the general public. For the next 50 years Addington Court was to be the headquarters of the family practice, Hawtree + Son, Golf Course Architects. But wait there’s more

Sheraton Pine Cliffs Course, Portugal

Feb 6th
2011

The Pine Cliffs Golf course is located between Vilamoura and Albufeira, Portugal and made its debut on the early 90’s designed by Martin Hawtree. This well maintained 9 holes course is situated on a cliff top overlooking the ocean and the long Falesia beach, enjoying spectacular views; the course is managed by the adjoining Hotel Sheraton. Made famous by it’s first president Nigel Mansell and frequented by tour professionals as a valuable practice venue during the winter break from the European Tour, the jewel of the crown of the course is its 9th hole over a ravine with beautiful views down on the sandy beach, locally nicknamed the “Devil’s Parlour”.

This Par 33 and 2,025 meters course has one par-5 hole, its layout is set amongst umbrella pines, although narrow, undulating fairways. Playing at Pine Cliffs demand accurate placing of shots, presenting an interesting challenge for the golfer, regardless of handicap. The opening hole is a par 4 with a drive through an avenue of trees to a generous fairway. The approach is a mid-iron to a large, undulating green protected by bunkers. From there onwards, the holes follow a path through the estate. The finishing two skirt the cliff top with the hotel providing a backdrop. The famous par-3 ninth (The Devil’s Parlour) requires a 205 meters carrying shot right over the beach to land on a deep but narrow green. Another memorable hole is the short par-4 2nd where one is tempted to thread the drive between two tall pine trees not far short of the well-guarded green.

“This is not a course to play in a hurry. It is necessary to take time to savour the peace and magnitude of the place”. Martin Hawtree, course architect.

embedded by Embedded Video

YouTube Direkt