Muirfield is a kind of a golf living legend, it is hard to say which is more famous, the golf course or the golf club. Muirfield is the home of The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers, records date back to 1744 when the Club wrote the original 13 Rules of Golf, before the establishment of the Club in Muirfield in 1891 their members used to golf in Leith and Musselburgh. Overlooking the Firth of Forth, the estuary of Scotland’s River Forth, the Muirfield links was first designed by Old Tom Morris but altered substantially in 1928 when the club purchased additional land and employed Harry Colt to rearrange the links into its current form.
The course layout features a clockwise outward nine that circles an anti-clockwise inward 9, so the wind directions changes for golfers throughout their round. Muirfield is perhaps the fairest test of a golfer’s ability to play links golf, punishing rough awaits any errant shots but the best players will thrive. Colt designed his holes with some of the most brutal bunkers in Britain; initially the layout had around two hundred traps that were significantly reduced a few years later following a suggestion of Tom Simpson.